Monday, August 27, 2012

Movie Review Monday: Drive

There isn't much I can say about "Drive." I thought it looked pretty bad when the previews came out so long ago but with a star-studded cast, I felt that it must be at least okay. Yeah, no. It is terrible. Truly an awful film.


Source

I will say this: the special effects were amazing and the acting was very well done.


This makes it at leaset worth watching...on silent.
The violence was very realistic and I bet the car chase scenes would be downright fantastic in IMAX. But why with all of the gruesome effects? The violence was unrealistic and unnecessary to the story. And don't get me wrong, I'm not some bleeding heart sap that can't take some gore. Puh-lease. I like action movies even more than my husband. I'm a hockey fan for goodness' sake. I'm not afraid of a little blood. But seeing Ryan Gosling crush some guy's skull in with his foot? Dear God. That was not something that I needed to have in my head. And when a very beloved (by me) actress literally gets her head blown off? Isn't that a little excessive? I think so, but what do I know?

Can we go back to when he was Noah Calhoun and all was right with the world?
Maybe that was part of the problem, maybe my past love affairs with some of these actors and their on-screen counterparts made me a little biased toward their roles in Drive. Maybe if I didn't know Brian Cranston as Walter White, or even as the dad from Malcolm In The Middle, I wouldn't have held such a grudge against his role in Drive. Cranston and all of the cast members of Drive did a fantastic job portraying their characters. They are all world class actors, that's for sure. But even when the cast is perfect, the acting cannot make up for the crapfest of a plot.

Chatkins Diet Rating: D+

No comments:

Post a Comment