Monday, September 17, 2012

Movie Review Monday: The Campaign

Good grief, not THAT campaign. Are y'all as over it as I am? Can it be the second Wednesday in November now?

I'm talking about THIS campaign....
Yeah, I know. "The Campaign" came out over a month ago. It is a rare moment when my husband and I can go watch a movie together.  But we made it happen last weekend. Sure I should have posted this review the following Monday but work has been fifty shades of cray. Between usual mayhem there was a certain announcement made last week to kick things into overdrive.

The movie was all around pretty good. I wouldn't say it was fantastic. It was hilarious as to be expected but that's the thing...it was all pretty expected. We've all experienced the genius that is Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis has made his way into this gal's heart. By now, we've seen these characters. The dim-witted a-hole is Ferrell's bread and butter. Galifianakis is a borderline-mentally-challenged middle aged child at heart with well meaning intentions. In fact, I'm pretty sure Galifianakis just recycled his character "Seth Galifianakis" from his stand up. Zach plays his twin brother Seth who is remarkably similar to "Campaign" character Marty Huggins.
Gut-busting hilarious, no doubt, but totally seen before.

I recommend that you wait until this movie is out on Blu-Ray and share it with your ADULT friends over a bottle of wine and a big bowl of popcorn. This movie is def not kiddo-friendly. There are lots of (again, totally expected) raunchy jokes taken to the limit.

The real humor for me is seen best in the campaign managers played by Jason Sudeikis and Dylan McDurmott. These two really made the movie worth watching. McDurmott, who usually plays serious roles like his long run role on The Practice, was surprisingly awesome. His stealth-like campaign tactics were dead-on to what I can only imagine what goes on behind the scenes on real campaigns. Sudeikis' character seemed to be the only person in that town with any sense about him. Gotta love the humor that comes from someone who doesn't have to be wacky for the laughs.
Sudeikis and McDurmott in center being funny, and let's face it, totally sexy.
My rating: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment