Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Movie Review....yeah I suck at timing

Are you really surprised I didn't get my movie review out yesterday on time? You shouldn't be. Despite the fact that I own no less than 4 calendars that I reference everyday, I'm still behind on like everything. So, my bad. Also, there will probably not be a YouTube Tuesday today, because I have other shiz to do after writing this. Any apologies to those of you who can't work YouTube without me (I'm lookin' at you Dude).

Anywhoodle...this week we watched Blue Valentine starring Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams.
image via imdb.com
Now, before you let the movie poster sway you, don't. This is not your typical romance, Jesus knows it's not a Rom-Com. Dear hipster girls, if you were looking for a good I've-got-PMS-and-I-need-to-cry-my-eyes-out movie but P.S. I Love You is just to mainstream, well look no further. This will tug at everyone of your body odorous heart strings.

All-in-all this was a really good film. Damn worth every award that it won when it came out in 2010 (that's 20 nods and 3 wins, including an Oscar nomination). What it does is show you a typical family living day to day life. Adorable kid and goofy dad totally pissing off a busy and no-nonsense but loving mom. You start to feel bad for everyone involved. Poor Mom can't get her family to cooperate. Poor Dad can't catch a break for having fun with his daughter. Poor kid misses her run-away dog. Then-omg-then it shows how they got there...a side we almost never see in a movie. It's always one or the other. It's either a movie about how a young beautiful star-crossed couple meets and then fin. Or it's about a dysfunctional family and how they make it work. Not this movie. Oh no. It's both except the ending is closer to real life. I won't give it away but just know that by the end of the movie I looked like somebody had just told me chocolate was outlawed. In-freaking-consolable. I cried so hard my eyes burned for like an hour. Redic.

Oh oh oh! The other thing about this film, they make Ryan Gosling look like Ryan GROSSling...excuse me while I take a moment to laugh at my hilarious self. No seriously, take the hunkiest man alive and give him a receding hairline, an insatiable smoking habit, creepy facial hair, and the fugliest glasses known to man and you have his "present" day character. Oh the magic of the movies never ceases to amaze me.

Hey girl, let me melt your insides with my ukulele.

Hey Girl, let's share a Pabst over my copy of Guns N Ammo
All the while his character doesn't lose his love-for-life charm that he had in his youth, it's sort of annoying when he's not super hot too. Take note guys: if you're going to act like you're 20, look like it too. Otherwise grow up and stop eating raisins off the table. 

Also...ladies, please see Michelle Williams' character as a cautionary tale. Yes, life sucks and marriage is hard. Especially when you rush into it (def not the case here!). Don't let all of the bad stuff suck out the good. Even if your husband used to be a hunk and now looks like hell, give him a break. He's might need some help with his drinking (and his wardrobe) but if he's a good dad and a good husband, appreciate it. Appreciate each other. Life is hard enough as it is, lean on each other through the hard times rather than push each other away. Obviously, if you absolutely can't make it work, don't let your kids suffer. They need to know how to resolve conflict but if there isn't anything but conflict then don't make them live in a home without love. Two homes with love is better than one with hate.

I give Blue Valentine an A. Art imitates life in this film, and we as viewers should learn from Dean and Cindy.

No comments:

Post a Comment