Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Damn you Pinterest!

My love affair with Pinterest is downright Shakespearean. I could wax on and on about how much joy each and every pin and like gives me. My pin boards are full of dreamy idealistic items for the future that will never happen. I sigh every time I design my future home or dress my future babies with items I will never be able to afford. There is even a practical side to the.best.website.ever. Many of my man's favorite new recipes have come from ol' Pinterest. My ladies and I even planned my bachelorette party with it's own board and the aid of Pinterest's contributor tool. We each can submit ideas to this one board that we all share. It's pretty ballin'.

Alas, one fateful day, my sweet sweet Pinterest failed me. A friend pinned a picture of an autographed bride and groom Minnie and Mickey Mouse with the instructions "OMG. If you send Mickey and Minnie an invitation to your wedding, they'll send you and autographed photo! Micky & Minnie The Walt Disney Company 500 South Buena Vista Street Burbank, California 91521"
 
How freakin' amazing is that?! Upon seeing this, I damn near broke my mouse (hehe oh the irony) hitting Repin and added Mickey and Minnie Mouse with their address to our guest list. These mice were getting the best damn invitation their humongous eyes had ever seen and I could not wait to receive their autographed picture. A picture that Minnie Mouse actually touched with her own over sized glove! Yes, I am five.

The time came for invitations to be sent to the mail, and then two weeks later they actually went out. RSVPs started rolling in little by little. No response from the Mouse House. Then one bright shiny lunch break, what awaited me at the mailbox? 

All photos personal




A pre-printed, mass produced, barely authentic postcard. No personalization. No photograph of the "real" Mickey and Minnie. No "real" signatures. Just a cartoon postcard that is undoubtedly stacked up in the office of someone (whom I envy greatly) at Disney World. They slap on a label with your return address and send it out with that day's outgoing mail. The most offensive part? Apparently Disney office wench Micky can't spell for shit:
Personal Photo - sorry, my point-and-shoot sucks sometimes
Just in case you aren't aware, my name is not Cherice. Only my Grandpa Art can call me Cherice because, well for some reason he genuinely thinks that's my name. When I was very little I tried to set him straight to no avail (setting him straight wouldn't do anyone good, just ask his "special friend" Warren"). The name of our street was also misspelled but I'm not about to put that info all over the interwebs.

The moral of this story: Don't put your faith in everything you see on Pinterest. Yes, it is chock full of inspiration but not everything works out the same way for everybody. Keep on loving and keep on pinning!

No comments:

Post a Comment