Monday, June 25, 2012

Movie Review Monday: Rock of Ages (NWR)

You might be wondering what the deal-io is with all of the NWR (non wedding related) non sequitur posts. There's 3 simple answers to this.
1) I'm sort of sick about talking about the wedding. I mean I loved it, I'm glad we did it. I'm just ready to move on.
2) In an effort to keep myself regularly blogging, I need structure in my life. So you will see "Movie Review Mondays" "YouTube Tuesdays" and "Wedding Recap Wednesdays" (well, until I can't possibly talk about the wedding anymore. Don't fret my pets, there's a lot to cover. Please contain your excitement.)
3) The scatter-brained crazy person writing this blog cannot possibly keep her train of thought on one subject. My apologies to all of you stream-lined thinking normal people. Also, you suck.

So without further ado...

When we saw the first ad for Rock of Ages while watching TV one night, I looked at my husband with the biggest "please please please!" smile slapped across my face. The same one that I use when I want fried pickles at...well anywhere that serves fried pickles. Being that it premiered on June 15th, my rationalization was "you can take me for my birthday". He reminded me that he was getting me a purse for my birthday and then I reminded him that it is possible to do both. Well the 15th came and went with my hubby out of town. You might remember my lament from a couple of posts ago. So when this weekend rolled around, this movie was my mission in life.

Friday night: sold out.  :(
Saturday night: sold out.  >:(
Sunday afternoon: SUCCESS!  :D

After being disappointed all weekend, we made sure to purchase tickets several hours in advance and showed up to the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema almost a whole hour before the movie started to get in line. A little excessive, I know, but dammit I was not going to miss Tom Cruise as Stacee Jaxx.
Source: WM Magazine
I mean seriously. That guy, craze-balls as he might be, is one EPIC chamellion.

Once we got settled into our seats we ordered our food and drinks. If you aren't familiar with the Alamo Drafthouse, they have a full menu plus a bar menu. Granted, the food there is a little pricey so a night at the movies for two can be upwards of $50. The hubs ordered green chile queso fries and a beer. I stuck with a small (small = humongous) popcorn and a Dr. Pepper and we shared some fried pickle spears. Honestly...Frued would probably have a hay-day with my obsession with fried pickles.

Another perk of the Drafthouse is that before the movie starts, en lieu of lame trivia, they play cartoons or film clips pertaining to the movie that you are about to watch. So for Rock of Ages they played 80s hair-band music videos. It was both nastolgic and hilarious. David Lee Roth is a ham...and probably killer in the sack...just sayin'.



All in all the movie was pretty awesome. There were some goof-ball moments that I know made my husband roll his eyes. I wanted to punch Julianne Hough in the face pretty much everytime she came on screen...which was a lot, being that she was the lead. Alec Baldwin and Russel Brand were hilarious as usual but left me wishing they had rehearsed more. Mary J. Blige blew me out of the water. I mean wow. And Tom Cruise! Holy Crap was he awesome! Genius...just genius. Diego Boneta was...well...cute. And he had a fantastic singing voice. That's about it. I'm not a movie star or anything but I feel like you don't want your viewers thinking "well, at least he's attractive."

I bet the play is killer. If it's still running when we (someday far far off into the future) go to NYC I hope we can get tickets. It was clearly pulled straight from broadway with little to no adaptation. There were times when I could actually see the stage set in my head.

Thoughts leaving the theater:
Mr. Catkins: "I didn't know it was a musical."
Mrs. Chatkins: "Seriously? Have we met? Of course it was a musical."
Mr. Catkins: "Dork."

Ahhh wedded bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment