Friday, July 13, 2012

13 going on 30

Well...27 actually.

Tonight I failed so epically, that it can only be attributed to Friday the 13th. I know, I know. It's a stupid myth. I was brought into this world on a Friday the 13th for goodness' sake - it's up to you if that's a curse or not.

I've promised my friends that if they help me pack up my house this evening I would provide refreshments. And by refreshments I mean booze and celery sticks. Off to Wal*Mart I went with my list of mixed groceries and drinks to purchase. After my usual hour and cart-full of crap I don't need but vaguely want, I made my way to the 1 cash register that was open (on a Friday afternoon, I mean seriously!?! Get with the freaking program people!) and as I was about to purchase a cheap bottle of wine and a 6-pack of shiners, the nice cashier asked for my ID. Not surprising with my perpetual age 13 face. I had diligently taken my wallet out to be prepared for such questioning. What I was not prepared for was a wallet missing one very important Driver's License? Where the hell is my DL?!?! More importantly, how do I convince this bitch (see how easily I turn?) to let me buy my booze? My precious wine!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I offered to put them back but she just said no and placed them below her station. With a (too youthful) face as red as a tomato, I paid for the rest of my groceries and walked to the parking lot with my tail between my legs. As I approached my car out in the "back 40" I realized my Driver's License was carelessly thrown in my purse earlier this week. At a doctor's appointment on Tuesday I was too lazy to put it back in it's home in the front of my wallet after the kind receptionist scanned it for their records. What can I say? I had both a food borne stomach virus AND a sinus infection. I did not have the time nor energy for such silliness.

Now at this point, I could have turned around and strutted back in with my ID like some sort of woman on a mission or I could have just driven to another store. But when it is eleventy billion degrees outside, I did not want the groceries I actually acquired to rot in my trunk even for a few moments.

So dearest friends, if you do come help me pack this evening, it will have to be rewarded in my kindest affections alone...well that and celery sticks. My bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment