Monday, July 30, 2012

Movie Review Monday:Nananananananana

BATMAN!

Bertmern!!!
That's right, hubby and I took a few hours out of our obsessive Olympic games watching to finally see "The Dark Knight Rises." I'm an avid superhero movie lover and my husband tolerates my nerdiness with such sweet devotion. Four years ago (cheesus has it been that long already?!) when the second movie in this series "The Dark Knight" came out, I had to drab him kicking and screaming. We had traveled to the next town over from where we lived back then so we could use the "good" theater to watch "Step Brothers." But there was a miscommunication between the theater and Fandango and we missed the first 20 minutes of it. Rather than busting into a movie that was well under way, I convinced him to see the new Batman flick. How did it go? He friggin' loved it. The next day he was watching my DVR'd "Batman Begins" and going on and on about how awesome it was. Of course it was! Why does anyone doubt me?

We've been totally stoked about continuing the series and when they released the premier date, I almost peed a little bit. Christian Bale has always been a favorite of mine. I've followed him ever since I was 11 and we watched "Newsies" in 6th grade choir.

Oh Cowboy.....take me to Santa Fe with you
I even dated a boy at 11th grade Drama District Competition (for the whole afternoon that is) simply because he looked a bit like Christian Bale (what? don't judge me!). Alas, whats-his-face went to another school and was not nearly as cool as "Cowboy."

After seeing TDKR I can honestly say Bale has not lost his touch. He is still every bit the method, meticulous, and just all around amaze-balls actor he has always been. I know, I know. This is indeed the guy who lost his cool on the set of T3 or T4 or whatever the hell it was (ok, so I don't follow him close enough to watch that crap...but I bet he's amazing in it). Some days I would like to freak the fuck out on my team too but, you know, I'm just a tad bit more expendable than one Mr. Christian Bale.

In his third round as Bruce Wayne, he doesn't disappoint. He still kicks ass and makes you see the wounded, battered soul of Batman's alter ego. I won't go into details of what happens in the film but I say it is a must-see. Especially if you are a comic book graphic novel junkie, super hero enthusiast, or just all around nerd like me. Anne Hathaway shines like always. She has some cheesy one-liners but I don't blame her for that.
Meow!

Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, and Morgan Freeman are everything we remember them being in their various father figure rolls for Bruce.
Commissioner Gordon
Lucius Fox
Alfred












Tom Hardy was scary as shit (but mostly I think it was just that voice and the mask) so well done there.
Nightmare inducing fo' sho'

The real break-out stars of this movie (besides the never failing Bale) were Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Marion Cotillard.

Yum
This is the ugliest picture I could find of her on the internet...not fair.
 Both of their parts seem pretty minuscule in the beginning of the movie but by the time shit gets real and you're on the edge of your seat they blow you away. Well, one of them is pretty Gee-Dee obvious but I almost came unglued with the other. Marion Cotillard excels as usual as a damsel in distress/femme fatal and Gordon-Levitt is...well...a boy wonder in his acting skills. But then again, anything either of them do these days is just all around fucking amazing.

Does anyone else think Christopher Nolan used Inception as TDKR auditions? Because if not, this guy's casting agent has a pretty small pool of talent.

All in all, I give this movie a solid A. Out of 5 stars, I would give it 4.75. The only issue I had with it was the length. Now, obviously movies these days (especially ones meticulously carried out to stay true to their inspiration) are really effing long. I get that. But some of us have husbands with Attention Deficit Disorder. And when you are 150 minutes into a movie and there's some serious shit going down in the dialogue and your husband decides (in a packed theater no less) to tickle you because he's getting restless, I think it might be high time to get the show on the road. I cannot believe I maintained complete bladder control throughout the whole movie. That has to be some sort of human record. There were several times that I almost came unglued with excitement/sheer terror/thrilling intrigue that I probably came close to peeing my pants. Note to self: when seeing a 2 hour and 45 minute movie (plus previews!) don't drink 2 large Dr. Peppers. You will indeed be uncomfortable by the end of the movie.
Good lawd it must be illegal to look that good!
That's all for today...back to the Olympics!

2 comments:

  1. For future long movies, maybe The Hobbit?, if you have a smart phone I recommend Run Pee.
    http://runpee.com/
    It tells you thebest scenes to make a bathroom run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect! Thanks Nicolene! I will be sure to have that set up before the next epically long movie. :o)

    ReplyDelete